Probably NOT! Surprised? “Well that doesn’t make any sense,” you may say. “My home would not have flooded if the hurricane didn’t physically PUSH the storm waters onto my property.”

This debate has gone on for a while and the courts are still arguing about it post Katrina. The issue is front and center in South Florida coming off the heels of Hurricane Irma. Many people who do not live in a flood zone, believe they don’t need flood insurance. And while it is true, most lenders will not require you to have a flood policy if you don’t live in a flood zone, it’s still a good idea to have one.

Hurricanes can push seawater inland even beyond flood zone boundaries. And as we saw with Hurricane Harvey in Texas, heavy concentrations of rainwater can also create a once in a lifetime flooding situation.

Think about it this way, the policy is called a “windstorm” policy (not a “hurricane” policy. Accordingly, the Windstorm policies generally cover damage caused by high winds (ie. roof damage, broken windows, walls, water intrusion from driving rain through stucco, etc.), albeit with very large deductibles. The “windstorm” policies do NOT cover water damage caused by rising water.

Only flood insurance will protect you from storm surge and rising rainwater damage to your home.

Here’s the good news for many homeowners who don’t live in a flood zone. Flood insurance is not expensive. The minimum policy offered is between $400-500 and it offers$250,000 of dwelling coverage and $100,000 worth of contents coverage with a low deductible. Excess Flood insurance is available as well. Ask your insurance agent for a quote.

Risk Advisor, Patrick Battle at Keen, Battle, Mead & Company says, “Consider Flood Insurance, most of South Florida is prone to flooding. It doesn’t just take tidal waters or a storm surge to produce flooding. A wet, slow moving hurricane (such as Hurricane Harvey in Texas) can drop numerous inches of rain, inundating normally dry land areas. Flood insurance is reasonable. Call Keen, Battle, Mead & Company for a quote. ”

He notes the following:

Flood insurance provides coverage against all direct physical loss by or from flood to the insured property due to inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from:

1. Overflow of inland or tidal waters;
2. Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source;
3. Mudflow;
4. Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.

2 – An “Important Notice” about flood insurance:

Flood insurance is available under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It provides coverage for residential and non-residential buildings and their contents, in both high risk and as well as low risk areas.

Flooding is the largest single cause of natural disaster loss and damage in our country. The standard homeowners, dwelling, or commercial property insurance policy typically excludes or does not otherwise provide coverage for flood damage. Purchasing separate flood insurance coverage will allow covered flood losses to be adjusted in a similar manner as losses from other perils in other property policies.


1537 San Remo Avenue

Coral Gables FL 33146


Phone: 305.520.5420

Fax: 305.539.3713